Monday 7 July 2008

7 July - Monday

Mark and Adam did the first shift of the day for the point counts. So I got a lie in, although with all the clanking and banging and sound of engines (the bow thrusters if you're interested in that kind of thing) , it didn't feel much like a lie in.

At breakfast, a number of the physicists were coming off a long night shift. This consisted of various things, but mainly co-ordinating bringing a "profiler" that measures water turbulence up and down on a winch every five minutes. They were all tucking into lorry-driver size fry-up breakfasts. Quite impressive really.

I got off to a flyer - I couldn't find my binoculars anywhere and had to use the reserve pair we brought with us. I spent all of the morning fretting about where I might have left them, and daring not to think that someone might have pinched them. Of course, no such thing had happened, and I'd left them on a bench last night when knocking off.

We didn't see so much today - just four Cory's shearwaters and a single Manx. We saw some gannets feeding and searching. And that was about it. We finished surveying at 4 pm and brought ourselves up to date with coding up the data.

No comments: