Tuesday 2 June 2009

Off to Northumberland

Thought it was about time I reinstated the blog. I had lots of good intentions about doing the blog to let people know about my new life in Old Portlethen (aka Portlethen Village), but never seemed to get around to doing this. Maybe I'll get the taste for blogging again.

After a lot of preparation - I have to admit mainly by others rather than me - we set off in my fully laden car from Aberdeen to Amble in Northumberland. It was a very pleasant drive on a hot sunny day. We used my Satnav to help find the ideal route from the A1 to Amble, which it surely did. Maybe we should have heeded the warning sign "Not suitable for through traffic". My fully laden car bumped its way down a rough track, with the continuous sound of weeds scraping my sills (sounds painful). Eventually we got back to a sensible road and to the house in Amble.

After unpacking the car then our bags, we went exploring. The house is 3 doors away from a superb fish and chip shop - The Harbour Chip Shop - very highly recommended, and would give Zanres or the Ashvale a run for their money.

We took our meal down to the harbour and watched Sandwich and common terns feeding in the evening light on the River Coquet. We heard the unmistakable "keewik" call of two roseate terns as one of them excitedly showed off its newly-caught sandeel to its mate.



Common tern in Amble

No comments: