Saturday 11 September 2010

Day 2 of the conference

I realise I have entered into some kind of battle with my maid (that sounds sooo decadent!). I realise for two mornings running, I have thrown out my old disposable razor, and she has put it back neatly beside the wash basin (that's the one in my main bathroom of course). I resort to snapping the razor in half.

I went to Linda's presentation on the tern tracking work. She was invited to give her talk, so it's one of the preferred talks. She's as nervous as hell, but of course she does a good job, and I see lots of people nodding their heads, which is a good sign.

I'm feeling a bit better about my workshop. I get a chance to run through things with Kathy Kuletz and I hear about a couple of people who are definitely going to attend. One of the problems I spotted was that there is a clash between my database workshop and another workshop organised on seabird spatial ecology which will take people away from my workshop.

It goes well. Some big players attend my workshop and apart from a couple of the giving presenters going off-script, it is well received and everyone really positive about the idea of data sharing, and many sign up to get involved in developing things further. Ben Best from OBIS-Seamap is really helpful and says lots of really good things.

I went for something to eat with Jim, Kees Camphuysen, Martin Heubeck. I fall asleep before my food arrives, and then again afterwards. I must have been shattered.

No comments: