Wednesday 8 September 2010

Sleepless in Seattle

After a 4:30 am start from home (thanks for the lift George, you're a Toff). I took Air France from Aberdeen to Paris, then a rapid transfer for their flight to Seattle.

I've heard dire things about Air France's record with luggage during transfers, and also about the long queues for immigration at Seattle. None of these proved the case, and my luggage and I staggered into the arrivals hall at 1pm, about 1 hour after landing. Note to anyone who's planning a trip in the future - the ESTA system for immigration means you don't have to fill out a white landing card during the flight like you used to (but you still have to fill out the customs form), even though Air France told everyone to do this. The immigration person simply tore up my neatly filled-out white card. He was friendly too, unlike previous experiences. I met up with a few other folks who were on the same flight as me, including Steve Votier and Henri Weimerskirch.

Because of my low expectations for a speedy turnaround at the airport, I pre-booked a hotel to stay a night there and catch the ferry the following morning to Victoria. I took an electric train into Seattle (only $2.50, quick and efficient - cheaper than the short bus journey from Aberdeen to Torry!). While waiting for my room to be ready, I took a wander around the Pioneer Square area in the half-drizzle - quite interesting. I stumbled upon the Pike Street Farmers Market, which was fantastic. I'll upload some photos when I get a chance. It was a sea of people, colour and smells, with fresh fish stalls, arts and crafts and lots of flower sellers (substantial bunches at $5 each).






I ate at a Brazilian restaurant, but my body was starting to shut down - it took just one caiparihna, so I returned to the hotel and sleep.

Of course, my body was getting ready to wake up again and at 3 a.m. I ended up doing some work on my presentations, re-organising my luggage etc ready for my early morning ferry to Canada.

No comments: